Consumers hopped online early today to take advantage of the latest deals, with Cyber Monday sales starting off strong at 17% year-over-year growth ($719 million) as of 10 a.m. E.T. By the end of the day, overall Cyber Monday sales are expected to meet the Adobe Digital Index (ADI) prediction of 15% YoY growth ($2.6 billion).
That follows $7 billion spent online over the holiday weekend, for a total of 20% growth over 2013.
Currently, mobile shopping is on par with levels from Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday morning, with retailers offering deeper discounts and earlier promotions. Record numbers of consumers also turned to their smartphones to shop online, though ADI expected the share of shopping from mobile devices to drop as the day progresses and people resume their weekday routines.
ADI looked at 27 million visits to more than 4,500 U.S. retail sites between midnight and 10 am E.T. today, in addition to more than 500 million visits during the weekend, for these latest online shopping trends.
Early data also indicated that the growth trend of large retailers will continue today. On Black Friday, large retailers (those making more than $7.5 million per year) saw 25%-plus growth. Smaller retailers (those making less than $2 million per year) grew less than 10%.
Mobile Shopping On Cyber Monday
- $190 million spent on mobile devices so far.
- Smartphones and tablets drive 26% of total online sales so far, up from 18% in 2013.
- Smartphone share: 11%, up from 6% in 2013.
- Tablet share: 15%, up from 12% in 2013.
- Share of shopping from mobile devices expected to fall as consumers head into work and other Monday activities.
Black Friday Total
- $2.4 billion spent online, for a total of 24% growth over 2013.
- 26.4% of sales from mobile devices, even with 2013.
- Average order value: $138, up from $135 in 2013.
- Average discount: 24.1%.
- Shopping peaked during the middle of the day, between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Thanksgiving Weekend Total
- $7 billion spent online for a total of 20% growth over 2013.
About Adobe Digital Insights
Adobe Digital Insights publishes research on digital marketing and other topics of interest to senior marketing and e-commerce executives across industries. Research is based on the analysis of select, anonymous, and aggregated data from more than 5,000 companies worldwide that use the Adobe Digital Marketing Cloud to obtain real-time data and analysis of activity on websites, social media, and advertising.
Receive email updates on the latest Adobe Digital Insights Research.