I just got through attending the CMO Collective in Chicago, and although I missed a couple of sessions, there was quite a bit to take in. Overall, it was a great event with Fortune 500 CMOs (including a presentation on The Power of the Digital Self by Adobe’s own John Mellor). This week’s blog is a shortened bulleted list of some items, key CMO quotes, and stats I found of interest.
- CMOs leveraging data and technology to drive their respective businesses were the centerpiece themes.
- Integration really matters and don’t tease out digital on its own to measure. Look across the marketing mix model and the impact on all of your marketing initiatives.
- Data strategy must live with the CMO and be part of the job description.
- Aligning product with marketing is tough at the best of times, but marketing driving product innovation and differentiation amid a merger is almost insanity.
- “The Digital Self signals that digitally define who we are as individuals and brands.”
- “PRSD–Post Recession Distress Disorder.” (This was mentioned in a discussion around renewed fiscal responsibility, specifically the female demographic.)
- “Embrace Digital Fitness or go the way of the dinosaur.”
- “This is the world of the real-time CMO.”
- “We don’t use as much data as you like.”
- “The CIO is my BFF.”
- 91% of women say “marketers just don’t get me.”
- Women now make or influence up to 85% of all purchases.
- 22 months is the average tenure of a CMO
- Only 13% of complaints on Twitter receive any response at all.
What’s your take?