Automation is going to change advertising as we know it.
Indeed, the ability to use consumer data at scale to optimize ad campaigns on the fly is probably the biggest promise of advertising automation, a.k.a., programmatic advertising. For the people behind the scenes, time gained back to dedicate toward more creative endeavors is a huge plus, too. Additionally, programmatic advertising reduces costs on both the buying and selling sides.
Now it’s time to get specific. Here’s a look at the current state of programmatic advertising.
1. Nearly four of every five digital display dollars will transact programmatically in 2017, totaling $32.56 billion. (Source: eMarketer)
2. 2016 marked the first time in which more than half of all U.S. digital video ad dollars traded via automation; that portion will grow another 42.3% this year to $9.13 billion. By 2018, nearly three-quarters of all video ad dollars will transact programmatically. (Source: eMarketer)
3. On November 13, 2017, Adobe (CMO.com's parent company) launched the first 100% programmatic ad campaign. (Source: Adobe)
4. Expect nearly $1 billion in addressable advertising spend this year—and that number is likely to more than double by 2018. (Source: Video Advertising Bureau)
5. Programmatic TV will continue to gain market share in both the U.S. and U.K., with planned budget increases of 28% and 39%, respectively. (Source: Adobe Digital Insights)
6. 62% of media-buying professionals who are increasing spend on programmatic TV in the next six months said the main benefit is reaching a more targeted audience. (Source: Adobe Digital Insights)
7. Nearly 80% of mobile display ads in the U.S. are purchased programmatically, which will increase to around 85% by 2019. (Source: Digiday)
8. Addressable TV is on track to reach $2.2 billion in 2018, and its household penetration should rise to 74% of TV homes by 2020. (Source: Video Advertising Bureau)
9. 50% of marketers use programmatic for buying smartphone inventory. (Source: IAB)
10. About 39% of marketing executives believe a skills shortage is holding back programmatic growth. Just over a quarter (28%) of buyers and 16% of sellers rated their knowledge of programmatic as excellent. (Source: Tailwind)
11. Just 10% of advertising processes are automated today, but that number will grow. (Source: Adobe Think Tank)
12. By 2022, 80% of the advertising process will be automated, “a threshold that will never be surpassed.” The remaining 20% will be comprised of brand value, storytelling, and other more experiential tactics that will always require a human driver. (Source: Adobe Think Tank)
13. 31% of companies investing in programmatic ad buying said they have expanded their in-house capabilities to manage and oversee these programs. (Source: ANA/Forrester)
14. The U.S. is the biggest programmatic ad market, worth $24 billion in 2016 and accounting for 62% of total global programmatic ad spend. The U.K. comes in second, at $3.3 billion. (Source: Zenith Media)
15. 65% of B2B marketers indicated they currently buy or sell advertising programmatically. This is an upturn from 54% a year ago. (Source: Dun & Bradstreet)