Silicon Valley is engaged in an ongoing discussion about diversity--or lack thereof. African-Americans represent 12% of the U.S. population but account for less than 3% of Silicon Valley’s workforce. Women fair better, but not by much.
With three daughters of her own, Meagen Eisenberg, CMO of open-source database company MongoDB, is quite sensitive to the topic. She believes a mix of employees makes a marketing team better and better meets the needs of customers.
“When we have a diverse team, it brings a better perspective,” Eisenberg told me. “It brings in new ideas and new ways to be relatable to our customers so we better understand them because they are diverse as well.”
Highlights from this week’s episode of Marketing Superstars include:
- MongoDB’s go-to market approach (3:29)
- Content marketing choices and effectiveness (6:45)
- First marketing team hires (8:40)
- How to bring in more diversity to the marketing team (16:20)
- Age as a form of diversity (18:33)
- Skill set of a world-class marketing tream (21:04)