In case you haven't heard, Instagram last week began testing shoppable ads with 20 select brands. The goal, according to its announcement, is to create "an easier experience to shop the products you love on Instagram."
Instagram released this video demonstration:
Of course, the Internet has been abuzz about the opportunities for brands. So exactly who is using Instagram? How do aficionados behave on the platform? And could Instagram be right for your brand? Read on.
1. By 2017, Instagram’s global mobile ad revenues will reach $2.81 billion.
2. Instagram now has 500 million active users.
3. Half of Instagram followers follow brands.
4. Sixty percent of Instagrammers are logging in daily, giving Instagram better engagement figures than any network except for its parent, Facebook.
5. Eighty percent of Instagram users reside outside of the United States. They upload 95 million photos and videos per day, which receive 4.2 billion likes daily.
6. The average number of Instagram followers for a top brand is now over 1 million—almost five times higher than in 2015.
7. Seven out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded.
8. There is a fairly even gender split between Instagram users: 51% male/49% female.
9. In 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion, a relative bargain compared to the $14 billion it paid for WhatsApp in 2014.
10. By 2017, more than 70% of companies will use Instagram for marketing.
11. Fifty-five percent of all 18- to 29-year-olds in the U.S. are Instagram users.
12. Twenty-seven percent of teens consider Instagram the most important social platform.
13. Video views are up 150% on Instagram over the past few months.
14. Instagram is immensely popular in the beauty industry—96% of beauty brands maintain an Instagram account
15. Ninety-three percent of moms access Instagram at least once per week, with 68% doing so daily. What's more, more than half of mothers on Instagram follow businesses.