Isn’t it surprising how many companies don’t consider the customer when sending its product to market? Seems silly, right? Well, this is the behavior that Ernan Roman, president of ERDM, is trying to change. This practice is called “voice of customer” (VoC).
Roman’s star pupil (and client) is Heather Smiley, CMO of MassMutual at Work. “We all know that in today’s world, customers’ expectations change minute by minute, and we wanted a way to not just get tiny snippets of that but an in-depth view,” Smiley said.
That’s where a VoC strategy comes into play.
In this episode of Marketing Superstars, I spoke to Roman and Smiley about how to implement a VoC program, then expand it across the entire organization, and finally measure its impact.
Other highlights include:
- What is ERDM? (2:20)
- What does Mass Mutual do? (3:40)
- Tools implemented to understand the customer (7:30)
- The journey to VoC (10:00)
- Changing your product using VoC (13:30)
- The three dimensions of the customer (15:05)