Jose Aguilar is global brand management director for Nestlé Nutrition, where he leads the company’s billion-dollar super premium infant formula category. He also heads up innovation projects, geographic expansion, and renovation of the company’s communications platform.
In addition, Aguilar is a true global executive who has led businesses the world over, from Europe and Asia to the United States and Latin America.
In talking about his experience during this episode of “Marketing Today,” Aguilar voiced his belief in the synergistic importance of both data and culture. “You need a very deep understanding of the data that you have in front of you,” he said. “And, actually, one of the key things a global marketer needs to bring to the table is an understanding of the local market.”
As someone who places great importance on the emotional intelligence necessary when working with people of different cultures, Aguilar added: “What I’ve learned is to be inclusive. I love to have teams that bring different perspectives to the table, that have different backgrounds—from many angles: economic, cultural and social.”
Highlights from this week’s “Marketing Today” podcast include:
- The challenge of building global brands while remaining culturally relevant. (4:43)
- How teams function better when global brand leaders are sensitive to the cultural differences that exist between different countries. (6:53)
- Aguilar’s experience as a global executive and the perspective it has provided him. (12:45)
- Why the emotional connections Latin American brands establish with consumers can serve them well. (18:03)
- Aguilar’s belief that “the center of power is moving east.” (22:16)
- How effective marketers can find success. (30:51)